Police: Father Arrested after 1-year-old Hospitalized for Overdosing on His Heroin
A 1-year-old girl from the Bronx was rushed to the hospital on Saturday, Dec. 2, after she ingested an almost fatal dose of heroin left on her father’s bed, police report.
Shortly after midnight on Saturday, her father, 20-year-old Edgardo Rodriguez from York, Pennsylvania, said he was doing heroin on the bed when some of it spilled on the comforter. Both his 1-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son were in the bed with him.
“My kids were there. Some of it spilled onto the bed. It made a mess. I went to sleep,” he said, according to court documents. “I don’t know how my daughter got in contact with the residue on the bed because I was high,” Pix11 reports.
Maybe parents need to lock their heroin in this box. The NYPD says two Bronx toddlers just overdosed. Last week I️ reported ACS plans to distribute this lockbox to parents to safely store their Rx opioids. A Staten Island baby died this way WATCH: https://t.co/XdSw0VDtT8 pic.twitter.com/FE07zc9K67
— Melissa Russo (@MelissaRusso4NY) December 6, 2017
Rodriguez woke up around 5 a.m. when his daughter started crying, court records say, but instead seeing what she was fussing about, he went back to sleep, the New York Daily News reports.
At about 8 a.m., both Rodriguez and his mother noticed the baby was having trouble breathing. By the time they got her to St. Barnabas Hospital about an hour later, she was unresponsive.
She was given three doses of opiate antidote naloxone and put on a Narcan drip. She was later transferred to Montefiore Medical Center, where she was in critical condition as of Tuesday.
Police found a white powdery substance on the bed in the apartment, court records say, and at the hospital, Rodriguez handed over a bag of what he told police was heroin, Pix11 reported.
He was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, and reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. He was arrested and held on $5,000 bail, the Daily News reported.
Another Bronx 1-year-old was taken to the hospital just two days later for a similar heroin overdose.
Her parents said they were walking on East 181st St. near Monterey Ave. at a little before midnight on Sunday, Dec. 3, when the 1-year-old picked up a plastic bag and put it in her mouth.
They said they noticed a white substance around her mouth, and a short time later, her face turning a greenish color. Later, she had a seizure.
They rushed her to St. Barnabas where she was given a dose of naloxone.
Like the other 1-year-old, she was transferred to Montefiore, where she remained Tuesday, the Daily News reports.
Both the NYPD and the city Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) were investigating the circumstances, but no arrests were made.
Both children are expected to survive, ABC7 reports.
Thank you for reading. If you found this article interesting or informative, please consider sharing it with your friends and family.